Bibi Ka Maqbara is a beautiful mausoleum situated in Aurangabad. Maintained by Archeological Survey of India, Bibi Ka Muqbara is one of the top tourist places to visit in Aurangabad.
The Bibi-Ka-Maqbara is dedicated to Rabia-ul-Daurani alias Dilras Banu Begum, the wife of Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb. Aurangzeb's son, Prince Azam Shah built the mausoleum between 1651 AD and 1661 AD in the memory of his mother Begum Rabia Durani. This mausoleum is a replica of the world famous Taj Mahal. Also known as Mini Taj, the mausoleum is far less ornamental than Taj Mahal in Agra.
The historical triangular fort of Daulatabad was built by Yadava king Bhillama V in 1187 AD. The city was then called 'Deogiri', meaning the hill of gods. Daulatabad or 'the abode of wealth' was the name given by Muhammad-bin-Tughlaq when he made his capital here in 1327 AD. The region and the fort passed on into the hands of Bahamani rulers under Hasan Gangu in 1347 AD and Nizam Shahis of Ahmednagar in 1499 AD. Daulatabad became the capital of Nizam Shahi dynasty in 1607 AD. The fort passed several hands, captured and re-captured by the Mughals, Marathas, Peshwas and finally placed under the control of the Nizams of Hyderabad in 1724 AD till independence.
The first reference to the Aurangabad Caves is in the great chaitya of Kanheri Caves. The caves are datable from circa 2nd - 3rd century AD to 7th century AD. The Aurangabad Caves were dug out of comparatively soft basalt rock during the 6th and 7th century. The caves are divided into three separate groups depending on their location. The first group of caves consists of cave number 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, the second group comprises of cave number 6, 7, 8 and 9, while the last and the third group is made up of cave number 10, 11 and 12. The distance between the first and second group of caves is approximately 500 m. The first group of caves is situated on the western side of a hill, while the second group lies on the eastern side of the same hill. The third group of caves, outside the Aurangabad city, is located to the east of the second group.
The foundation of the dam was laid by the then Prime minister of India Lal Bahadur Shastri on 18th October 1965. The dam was inaugurated on 24th February 1976 by the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. The chief engineer of this project was Mr. A.A.A. Siddiqui. Its height is approximately 41.30 m and length of 10 km with total storage capacity 2,909 MCM (million cubic meters) and effective live storage capacity is 2,171 MCM. The total catchment area of dam is 21,750 Sq. km. There are total 27 gates for the dam.